A great fact about American is 20 percent of their population which attends school every day. The school buildings are the largest constructions sector in USA, which according to an estimate was $80 billion during 2006 to 2008. Overall these buildings are contributing to 40 percent of all the emissions every year in United States. This shows that buildings are the major portion for global warming. But use of green schools designs and constructions, we can get rid of increasing population and rate of carbon dioxide contributed by these buildings.
Green schools are contributing to construct green, grow green and educate green. Right from their clean ventilation system to study courses, it is taught about preservation of our natural resources, wastage which is associated with our environment and how to clean them. Green schools efforts have been started from start of 21th century when increasing pollution issues brought the attention of high authorities.
According to Cost and benefits analysis for green schools of United States 2206, green schools cost about less than 2 percent per square foot when you are going to construct a green school instead of traditional school. In traditional schools there are many old construction issues which must be addressed because were contributing to the children health damage and pollution for whole atmosphere. Green schools are sound environmental wise and provide measurable benefits which can affect the bottom line of finance and occupant.
Green schools are performing their role as teachers teaching about how to Go Green and preserve our wild life. They demonstrate to the students as well as faculty members for how to get ready for global warming to catch and crash at the moment, getting healthier environment and learning about environment more cost effectively.
The financial benefits of Greens schools
When we are talking about adoption of green schools methodology, there are more concerned about financial benefits to aware the communities and faculties about it. For example;
- If all the new constructions of school turn to go green from today, we would be able to save as much energy as $20 billion over the next ten years. If we add the water savings with it, the results will be much more and huge financial benefits can be achieved.
- If cost only 2 percent more to build a green school than a conventional school’s construction which are contributing about 40 percent of all the pollution in air. But with investment of 2 percent more for such schools, the financial benefits are about 20 times more than its cost.
- Green buildingshave low maintenance cost as well as its operations cost incurred.
- They can save up to $100,000 every year, much for salaries to hire two new teachers along with 150 new computers and 5 thousand new books to purchase.
Environmental benefits of Green schools
Green schools are more environmental than our conventional schools due to many of the reasons involved. Currently our atmosphere has been heavily damaged by pollution and emission of poisonous gases like carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. Also many toxic materials affect our lives as well as the marine and wild life which is getting weaker and weaker by days. Here are some of the environmental benefits which we can achieve from use of green schools or eco schools techniques;
- LEED buildings can reduce the wastes during their construction process and design structure. Green schools are built to minimize their effect on land on which they have been setup and surrounding ecosystem.
- Green schools are produced of sustainable recycled material and recycled products would be consumed with their construction to ease the burden of pollution.
- They are designed in the way to preserve water and energy in significant way.Measuring more significantly than a conventionally designed building.
- There are strategies and technologies involved in building and designing the green schools. Such schools construction is aimed to improve the quality of indoor air and proper ventilations which can lead to best students’ development, including test scores and retention of faculties.
- These schools have better lighting and control of temperature, also an improved air quality.
- If we continue green schools or eco schooling, it is estimated to create 3000 more jobs every year with increased energy usage and high efficiency.
We visit schools to be exposed to unknown and new things. Learning about environments, basic knowledge of where we live, what we do, our purpose of life to most complex environment where we have learned about medicines and engineering fields. It is evident a person would not go to school if he had learned everything before. But what about schools environment and what are their contributions to save our atmosphere and how much they are contributing to renewable energy resources.
If they buy or generate their own renewable energy resources, they can switch from being supporters of global warming to removing of harmful extractive industries. All the American colleges and universities are moving to generate power energy from clean and renewable resources. Currently when oil and gas prices have been moved up, these decisions by schools are smarter and smarter.
Last years have shown a rapid progress in middle and high schools to follow the trends of renewable energy resources. According to Washington Post, more than 360 schools applied for Green schools certification as compared to 4 schools which applied for green schools certification in 2000. Schools structures to modify for going green or to buy renewable energy and it aid the students’ performance. An example of this is WhitmoreSchool constructed in Michigan which turned and adopted the go green approaches. Installing from geothermal and cooling, heating to use of biodegradable and recycled materials have helped to minimize the pollution.
Mitchell and Moat, the architects are of the view that schools are public awareness places and can bring attention among the people. Parents know more about green building and effects of geothermal energy resources. Eco schools have thus green designs, natural lighting and boost up of their children’s mood. The social benefits of schools including healthier lifestyle and recreations, improved health and improved schools.